Looks like you're in . ? Yes please or No Thanks

Blog

Q&A with Christina Macpherson

Q&A with Christina Macpherson

Tell us a little about yourself.

I am loosely based in two countries - Australia (Byron Bay where I’ve lived for 7 years) and New Zealand (where my fiancé is from).

In my spare time I love to read (at least a novel every two weeks) and write (writing makes up about 40% of my work, with modelling and content production the other 60%). I go on a lot of hiking adventures and if it’s warm you’ll never find me far from the ocean.

Obsessions at the moment hmmm...I’ve recently been getting into jewellery and makeup. I’ve never really worn either and it’s been nice playing with styles and colours recently.

We heard you grew up in so many amazing places, tell us about where you grew up and what you loved about it?

I grew up in Samoa, Fiji, England and Australia. I guess at the time I didn’t realise it was an unusual thing, but looking back it definitely helped shape who I am today. There were tricky parts - friends came and went and trying to constantly fit in was at times really hard - but being surrounded and introduced to different cultures and people was something really incredible for a child to grow up with. 

Christina Macpherson Ete Swimwear Christina Macpherson Ete Swimwear

Where do you call home now?

Because of my time in so many places, I get itchy feet a lot. My brothers and parents are always on the move too, so there’s no real ‘home base’, and because I am constantly on the road I guess ‘home’ is more of a person than a place!

You travel a lot, where are some of your must-see places? Favourite places so far?

I’ve just finished working with Cotton On in Far North Queensland and I’d encourage everyone to explore that place - it truly took my breath away.

I also love Florence in Italy, and the craziness of Japan. Santorini will also always be special as it’s where Tom (my fiancé) asked me to marry him.

Christina Macpherson Ete Swimwear

Dream destinations?

Oh so many places - everywhere! Off the top of my head, I’d love to explore more of Europe, and travel through South America. I’d also love to explore more of our own backyard - I’ve never been to Western Australia and many friends say it’s beyond beautiful there.

You travel a lot with your (boyfriend/fiancé??) how did you and Tom meet?

We met in Byron over three years ago. He was working in Brisbane at the time and had three more weeks left in Australia. After we met, he quit his job to stay in Byron with me; and a few weeks later I quit Byron life to go to New Zealand with him. A few very spontaneous decisions, but definitely the right ones.

Christina Macpherson Ete Swimwear

What goes into creating the beautiful photos we see on your Instagram?

For me, I try to be as genuine and authentic as possible. The photographs are always professionally taken and I try to present the brand/client/location in the best way possible. But nothing overdone, and nothing fake. My write up in the captions are also important to me, and if I’m feeling strongly about something I express it, or if I’m feeling cheeky and silly I’ll express that too.

Top tips for creating amazing content? 

  1. Don’t try to be somebody else or copy.
  2. Don’t be fake - everyone can spot it and you’ll only start comparing yourself which can be damaging.
  3. Be careful not to over-edit. Imperfections are beautiful (and normal!).
  4. Don’t take this Instagram business too seriously. It isn’t real life, and it’ll all fade away soon enough.

Christina Macpherson Ete Swimwear

Top travel tips

  1. Learn at least a few phrases of whatever country you’re going to - locals appreciate others who are at least trying to speak the lingo. (google translate is amazing)
  2. Take a drink bottle, a sweater, and some cash (but not too much) everywhere.
  3. Say no to plastic bags everywhere.
  4. Be mindful of others. Basically be kind, be weary, and don’t be a dick (haha).
  5. If you’re backpacking - less is more. You really don’t need that many clothes.

One thing you can’t travel without?

Glasses, comfy shoes, toothbrush and Tom (not necessarily in that order ha ha).

Where are you heading next?

I’m heading to Nicaragua in two weeks to shoot with Soludos, and then meeting Tom to explore Central America and shoot some content there.

Whats something most people don’t know about you?

I’m blind as a bat but always forget to wear my glasses. Really, really blind haha. I’m also older than many may think… ;-)

Christina Macpherson Ete Swimwear See more from Christina on her instagram @christinamacpherson and blog christina-macpherson.com.au

 Read about one of our other favourite globetrotters Lucia in her Greek Island Travel Guide.