Easter is on its way and we all know how tempting eating a ton of Hot Cross Buns is, so we have teamed up with @Coconutandbliss to bring you this deliciously healthy Chocolate Chip Hot Cross Bun recipe.
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup warm cashew milk
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch cardamon
- Pinch vanilla bean powder
- 1 organic free range egg
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted (+ 1 tsp)
- 100g dark chocolate
- 1 tsp yeast
- Cashew cream or CoYo
- Combine yeast, coconut sugar and warmed cashew milk in a large mixing bowl.
- Cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add flour, spices, vanilla, coconut oil, egg, roughly chopped chocolate and mix well using a wooden spoon.
- Briefly knead the dough using a floured board.
- Lightly grease a mixing bowl with 1 tsp coconut oil and place the dough in the bowl.
- Cover and set aside for approx. 1 hour (this allows the mixture to expand).
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius, fan-forced.
- Divide into 10 equal portions and roll into balls.
- Arrange on a tray lined with baking paper and sit for about 10 minutes.
- Place in the oven and bake for approx. 10-12 minutes or until slightly golden and risen.
- Remove from oven and set aside for a few minutes.
- Place the coyo or cashew cream in a piping bag and draw crosses on the buns.
- Serve and enjoy!